Collaboration and Apprenticeships
We are always looking to connect with talented, energetic people with an interest in regeneration. If you think you might have something to offer and want to learn more about our work or process, get hands-on skills at the research farms or otherwise collaborate please contact us. Be persistent and if you do not hear back from us it is because we get numerous emails and attend to client work first.
Apprenticeship Training Program
The 2016 apprenticeship training program is now full. We look forward to hearing from you about 2017.
- Review this website and page especially, thoroughly.
- Paypal to (email@example.com) for $20.00 USD to cover application/vetting process and filter out people who are not serious.
- Send a cover letter and 3 phone references to firstname.lastname@example.org with "Apprenticeship" in the subject.
- We will select a group of potential apprentices to attend a day and a half gathering at the farm in the winter. You will hear from us if you are asked to visit at this time.
- Apprenticeship is filled on a rolling basis.
We are accepting apprentices on a rolling basis and are offering the following opportunity.
Cost: A $50 one time program fee. You practice the skills and techniques shown below (and many others), learning-by-doing in exchange for mentorship by those with decades of experience.
- Hands-on practice in developing a regenerative commercial farm with multiple enterprises: including plant propagation and tree planting, medicine-making, vegetable production, forestry systems, earthworks, water systems, surveying, fertility-enhancement, soil production, mushroom production and much more. Apprentices will work alongside Ben Falk, Cornelius Murphy, Erica Koch ND, our Permaculture Design Instructor team, and others experienced in these systems.
- Experience at the original WSD research farm with managing and enhancing established systems. This work at an established site will go along with work at the larger new site to form a whole picture of permaculture land use from year 0 to year 13.
- Client consults with Ben Falk to WSD's client sites and site consult locations via WSD - among the most active land consultants in regeneration on the planet.
- Planting and plant-care at the newer site, laying out farm-scale plantings, working with swales.
- Apprenticeships, employment and eventual land procurement opportunities are potential possibilities for those engaging in this program, but cannot be guaranteed.
- Some design experience in the WSD studio available to design and graphics professionals as well as students in landscape architecture, architecture and other students, along with consultancy experience with Ben Falk in the field on project sites.
What skills will I be exposed to and practice?
Edible landscape design and installation as well as management over time
Grafting and plant propogation
Medicine making, and plant system establishment
Hand tool use and
maintenance, sharpening and knots
Tree planting, earth shaping and earthworks
Site design and management day to day
Keyline ID and design/layout
Orchard renovation and pruning
Sowing/broadcasting, plant spacing
Successional planting and management
Season extension techniques
Composting Remineralization and
Irrigation/gravity feed water
Plant ID Water/irrigation systems
And much much more as part of the daily life on a farm and homestead.
People with carpentry, metalworking, plumbing, animal management, and basic farm skills or skills in the trades are most likely to be selected for these opportunities but not the only ones selected.
Grazier/Livestock ManagerOur second research farm has an opportunity for someone to start and/or manage a herd of beef cows (or other large grazing animals) on site.
Vegetable growerThere's an opportunity on site to grow vegetables for the multi-thousand meals served on site and local markets. Inquire if interested. Ag. soil avaiable along with major equipment needed.
In-House Nurseryman/woman, plant propagator
Due to the high volume of interest we regret that we are not always able to respond to all inquiries.
A portfolio is recommended for most work-related opportunities.