Jobs and Internships
We are always looking to connect with talented, energetic people with an interest in regeneration. If you think you might have something to offer and want to learn more about our work or process, get hands-on skills at the research farms or otherwise collaborate please contact us. Be persistent and if you do not hear back from us it is because we get numerous emails and attend to client work first. Please call us if you do not hear back via email.
Interns and Apprentices at Whole Systems Research Farm II (with time at WSD's original site)
We will be hosting internships at our newly developing 175 acre farm in central Vermont, starting in April/May 2014. We are accepting interns on a rolling basis and are offering the following opportunity:
- Hands-on practice in developing a regenerative commercial farm with multiple enterprises: including grazing, vegetable production, aquaculture, plant propagation and planting, forestry systems, earthworks and keyline, medicine making and harvest processin, hay-making and more. Interns will work alongside Ben Falk and others experienced in these systems.
- Experience at the original WSD research farm in Moretown with maintaining and enhancing established systems. This work at an established site will go along with work at the larger new site to form a whole picture of permaculture land use from year 0 to year 10.
- Assistance with and potential auditing of the WSD permaculture and other Whole Systems Skills courses is possible through this program, applicant dependent.
- Housing provided and experience provided, no charge and no stipend.
- Apprenticeships, employment and eventual land procurement opportunities are possibilities for those engaging in this program.
- 20-30 hours/week of internship available to start.
- Possible design experience in the WSD studio available to design and graphics professionals, as well as students in landscape architecture, architecture and other students with formal training and design consultancy experience with Ben Falk in the field on project sites.
What skills will I be exposed to and practice?
Tree planting Earth shaping and earthworks
Keyline ID and design/layout
Site design and management day to day
Grazing/rotations/animal care and fencing
Sowing/broadcasting, plant spacing
Successional planting and management
Season extension techniques
Composting Remineralization and biochar
Erosion control Tractor use Irrigation/gravity feed
Plant ID Water/irrigation systems
Produce processing and marketing
If interested, send a letter of qualifications and resume or portfolio to email@example.com.
Programs Expansion: Yoga, Whole Foods Chef, related
As WSD continues to grow programming we are looking to connect with people who have interest and ability to manage, instruct and develop such programs at our farm landscape. One program of interest already identified is yoga and permaculture integrated into single course/program, but we are open to other areas of focus as well including applied herbalism and land-based medicine work.
Research Associate / Project Developer / Communications Support
WSD seeks a part time (leading eventually to full time) project developer and researcher to continue organizational initiatives by the production of white papers, mapping and other analysis and communications. Projects include local, statewide and international land-based developments. Work involves researching and developing these initiatives into compelling project packages that share the project with large audiences and can garner funding. Currently this is a fund-your-own position with WSD providing full grant writing support.
We are always accepting portfolios via email from innovative designers, craftspeople and culture change agents.
Due to the high volume of interest we regret that we are not always able to respond to all inquiries. A portfolio is recommended for most work-related opportunities.